Corbett Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airplane Noise Mangement-No Reply  (Read 13567 times)
johnR

« on: August 04, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

A couple of years ago I posted comments about air traffic and the associated noise pollution. As of this date I can't say that anything has improved. Where I live in Corbett it is not uncommon to have planes flying over my house at 1 to 3 minute intervals at different times throughout the day. Many of these planes are flying quite low (below 1500 ft) and are very loud. I called Jason Swartz, Noise Manager (503.415.6068) the individual who addresses citizen concerns regarding plane noise for PDX on 2 occasion over the past couple weeks leaving my phone number. As of this date he has not returned either of my calls and I have no idea why. I was wondering if anyone else had their calls or complaints ignored in this way.

Thanks
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »

Hi there, I have also called and spoken to a couple different people ... I am not sure this is the info you have - but here is the earlier thread ... http://corbettoregon.com/forum/index.php?topic=650.0  .... I received call backs each time within the same day ( two different messages ) ... but that has been a while now. Please keep this thread updated if there is a response.

M

johnR

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

So I finally received a response a couple weeks after I contacted PDX Noise Management. It was after my third attempt. The individual I spoke with stated that flights need at least 300 ft of altitude for every mile of distance to descend to the airport. I live between 15-16 miles from the airport so technically they could be flying as high as 4500-4800 going over my location. Yesterday a plane went over at 1900 ft (according to Flight Tracker on PDX website), well below the necessary altitude. i don't expect these planes to reroute because I don't like the noise but I believe that a large percentage of them could be approaching much higher with less noise impact on the community. If you ever feel the same let PDX know.
503 415 6072
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS.

I Just looked up the link for the Flight Tracker for anyone else who has these concerns.
Here is that info: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KPDX

I used this link to get the "crows fly" distance: http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html
I am 14 miles. ( 18 miles via Google Maps )

So I figure for me 4,200 feet over our house... Right now I see the planes are going over WA from the east, crossing the Columbia River and then banking back and coming back into PDX from the northwest. In the evenings we see them many times out stacked up in the distance towards Mt. Hood.... and have them come in every few minutes several in a row. That is annoying when you are on the deck this time of year enjoying the quiet... but... probably we thought that was just the way it is...

So....do you know if this information is archived... in other words, if we were outside in the garden... and a plane came in really low and loud... we could go in and find out the distance it was from us after it is passed?

Thanks again.

johnR

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »

YES, information is archived.

Below is the link to view pdx flights. The link is also located at the bottom of the Port of Portland Noise Management page. In the upper left hand corner of this page click on the "Investigate" link to learn how to use the page.  In the lower left hand corner there is a link for "Address Lookup" and radio button you can select to view "Mode Historical". You can then select a date and time to view the info (You MUST click the SET button below the chart for this to work). Slide the triangular button at the bottom of the map to see flight movement. Also click on the plane icons for info.

http://webtrak.bksv.com/pdx

Based on my own observations I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the altitude info provided, but it's a start. The last time I spoke with Noise Management I was told that close to 90 planes had flown over my house in 1 day. I would say that between 20-35 percent of these were low and load.

I hope this helps and was not too confusing.
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

I will check it out - good resource no matter what.

Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: