Corbett Community Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:29:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JET NOISE DOESN'T SEEM TO BOTHER ANYONE  (Read 8265 times)
johnR

« on: October 19, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »

A couple of days ago I received a call form an individual working for the Noise Management Office at the Port of Portland. He was following up on a complaint that I had made about jet noise last weekend. During our conversation he stated that his office had received less than 5 calls from this entire area in the past year regarding jet noise. Two posts were made on this web site in July and August to raise awareness about who to contact if you had complaints or concerns. Although over 400 people have read the posts evidently no one else has ever voiced an opinion in this matter. I was somewhat surprised at this considering that everyone I have ever asked about the noise has said that they don't like it.
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:03 PM »

Personally, it is annoying to us.... There seems to be a lot more of it lately. ( Not commercial jets - military jets ) and it seems almost regular. I keep telling myself that they will stop when the winds come back. It makes my dog nuts and it is so loud we can't hear eachother outside sometimes. We have noticed. What number should we call? I can post it up on the Corbett Oregon FB page - maybe more people would see/do something about it then? I don't know that people feel they have some place that would really listen to the concern. That's my guess. Or maybe they feel it would be "Unpatriotic" not to support the jets flying. Who knows. Thanks for posting!

billlakey

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »

Thank you, i too have noticed planes being louder the last few months. i appreciate this info:
Jason Schwartz, Noise Manager, 503.415.6068
Lisa Timmerman, Environmental Outreach Manager, 503.415.6047

i will share it and was even considering getting a noise level meter, i seem to recall there were limits on how loud they are allowed to be(flying low or high i suppose controls that)
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »

Just spoke to Jason there  - there has been an increase ( and has been ) in military activity but should be decreasing this time of year. The f15s are very loud... especially with afterburners... etc.

The Hot Line Number for Noise etc. - 503-460-4100

Email: pdxnoise@portofportland.com

johnR

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »

I have to say that it isn't the military jets that create most of the noise, it's the constant commercial traffic. As usual this morning I was awakened by a jet at approximately 5:30 am and over the following hour I heard a total of 15 separate planes at various distances some louder than others. I seems to me that the majority of traffic coming out of PDX is flying over our community. It will never go away but I feel that perhaps it could be redistributed in such a way so that we don't hear a plane overhead every 4 or 5 minutes. I think that it is hard to get any changes made in a rural community where there are fewer people to complain.
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »

Thanks JohnR - maybe still consider calling to log the info you just shared. Can't hurt. Maybe if enough folks did the same - they would try to re-route or at least "mix it up" a bit. The noise is really loud here too. My dog goes nuts and there are times outside talking with someone in the front yard is impossible when they go over. I am sure some have it better / some worse.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: