Corbett Community Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumors or Facts?  (Read 6499 times)
Barbara

« on: May 12, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »

UNO: Bob Dunton is asking for the school board to be approve paying him $200,000 as Charter Superintendent. The national average is just under $140,000 and they are managing upwards of 15 schools in their districts. ( http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_ED03000269.html ) If you add this to the small FACT that Mr. Dunton wants our school board to give him a 10 grand discount per classroom for rent next year ( That's $130,000 out of the public school's pocket folks ) it would seem there is a lot of money to be made off of these Charter schools -- especially when the rent is cheap. Add to that that you have the public school board chair on your side ---- and a couple others on the school board that are bought into your worth ( at 200,000 that is saying a lot about someone's worth ) then I guess you can do whatever you want with or without the community. Read Mr. Dunton's last letter to parents here: http://corbettoregon.com/forum/index.php?topic=216.0 about how Charter's aren't a democracy. ( No kidding. )
DOS: Charlie O'Neil has now said he is not a real Charter school board member - he is just a 'non-voting' member. So he sits on the public school board and votes for things like the above but he is only a non-voting member of the Charter? If this is true Charlie --- I think it would be more fair to sit on the public school board as a NON -VOTING MEMBER. Yes? Better for our public school, that would be for sure.
TRES: The Springdale School "COMMUNITY" center is slated to become a satellite for the Charter. So the SSCA ( Springdale School Community Association ) works to fix it all up and tries to buy it but can't and so it is still the District's property and so the County is going to shut it all down if it doesn't get fixed up so now there are these people writing grants so we can get it fixed up and for what? That's right "THE COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL" ( Yeah! More cars for my morning walk --- I can't wait! )
QUATRO: Maureen ( sis ) Childs is going to be given a job at the new charter school as director in Springdale? If this is true then maybe both Charlie and Sis need to admit that decisions they have been making on behalf of our public schools on the school board have all been completely unethical and clearly the popular term "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" and if this is true then they should BOTH step down immediately. ( ONE FACT: They both voted to stop transfers into our public school at the board meeting before last ( to preserve seats for the Charter school ) but ended up having to reverse because of public outcry at the meeting. Who would do that?HuhHuh? )
breezy

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »

200,000 dollars for managing less then 350 students??? I don't even know how to respond to this.
WHO is allowing this to happen??? Can we afford this?

I thought the board chair was COMPLETELY nonobjective at the board meeting. Even rude.  Isn't she supposed to be representing the community?

Thanks for the link Barbara I am going to check it out
stongeastwind

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »

I knew that Sis was looking for a job with the charter and agree that she should step down from the board if this were true.  In a perfect world anyone, at anytime, in a position to vote public policy and then benefit from that policy should be terminated or recuse themselves from that vote.  There is no room for negotiation on this because this negates the reason to have a board. 

Should Charlie sit on both boards (district/charter) and that answer is simply no.  When a person has to choose between allegiances of boards then both boards lose.  Charlie and Sis should step down from both boards and let people that don’t have agendas for gain/fame or, I hope this is not true, monetary windfalls make decisions affecting public policy. 

In the process of appointment of any justice of the Supreme Court (lower court or other as well) they are expected to recuse themselves of voting on anything that they have had any part in while in court or private practice because of impartiality.  A school board, county board, non-profit board, or any other board is the same way.  Personal gain is unprofessional, unethical, and not in the best interest of the position that they were appointed, granted, or voted. 

This being said both Charlie and Sis (or anyone else that feels they need to wash their hands of their inappropriate use of a public position) have a duty to strike their votes from this past year on anything involving the charter school or policy changes that they could possibly be tied to.

I have no problem Bob Dunton earning $200,000+ per year running a school and teaching classes because he will need to put in a lot of overtime to be great for those students.  What I do have a problem with is when a person loses their moral fiber and fight/vote for their own gain at the cost of everyone that is accountable to their actions. 

My fear is that when the bad school board members are voted out that the damage will already be done and held in place by contract.  I guess that is why this forum has so many people reading because it is a problem that can still be fixed and hope is not all lost yet for our school.           
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: