Corbett Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:59:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving surface replace on four bridges on I-84  (Read 4853 times)
Victoria

« on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »

April 2013

Overview
A contractor for the Oregon Department of Transportation will replace the driving surface on four bridges on Interstate 84 in the Columbia Gorge.  The joints will also be replaced on these bridges.

The bridges are located along a seven-mile stretch of I-84 starting in the Bonneville Dam area at the westbound bridge at Ruckel Creek, milepost 42 and the eastbound Eagle Creek bridge, milepost 41.5.  The remaining bridges are at Dodson both east and westbound, milepost 35.  (See map on back).

Project Benefits
The new driving surface will eliminate ruts and potholes and provide a smoother ride.  The overlay of new pavement on the bridge decks will help preserve their structural integrity and reduce the need for future more costly repairs. 

Project Timeline
Work will start on the bridges at Ruckel Creek and Eagle Creek in early April and be finished by May 24th.   Work on the bridges at Dodson will start after July 4th and finished about August 15, 2013.

Traffic and Bicyclist Impacts
Ruckel Creek and Eagle Creek Bridges: 
Starting April 8, there will be single lane closures at the bridges for a total of 6 weeks.  First, the right lane will be closed for 3 weeks and the left lane narrowed. Next, the left lane will be closed for 3 weeks and the right lane narrowed.  These lane closures may cause traffic to backup westbound on the weekends.

At Eagle Creek, the lane closures will start before the Tooth Rock Tunnel and end after the Eagle Creek Bridge.  Traffic will be directed through the center of the tunnel.  Access to the Eagle Creek Trail and Hatchery will be open at all times.   

Impacts to Bicyclists:  In the Eagle Creek and Ruckel Creek areas, bicyclists are encouraged to use the Historic Columbia River Highway multi-use path since there will be no shoulder on I-84 due to the lane closures.

Westbound bicyclists should exit I-84 at Cascade Locks and ride on the multi-use path which starts at the Bridge of the Gods.  Cyclists can get back on to I-84 at Bonneville Dam.  Eastbound cyclists should exit I-84 at Bonneville Dam and ride to Cascade Locks before re-joining I-84. 

Dodson Bridges:

Starting after July 4th, most of this project work will occur at night and there will be no daytime lane closures.  The nighttime lane closures, in both the eastbound and westbound directions, will alternate between the right and left lanes and the open lane will be narrowed. 

Nighttime Ramp Closures and Detours:
  Also in July and August, there will be ramp closures at exit 35.  Travelers can follow signed detours.  When the eastbound off ramp from I-84 is closed travelers will be directed to exit at Bridal Veil (exit 28) and travel the Historic Highway to Dodson.  When the westbound on-ramp is closed, travelers will detour east to the Bonneville exit (40) and to then head westbound on I-84.

Budget
The construction cost of this project is $1.7 million and uses federal and state funds.

http://For More Information
For more information, contact: Susan Hanson, Community Affairs Coordinator, susan.c.hanson@odot.state.or.us, 503-731-3490 or check the project web site: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGION1/Pages/ProjectPage.aspx

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: