Corbett Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help! Springdale Job Corps -- suspension of enrollments  (Read 9932 times)
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« on: January 24, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »

First, I’d like to say thanks so much for your continued support of our students.  We cannot do what we do without our community and employer partners. 

Now, I’d like to keep you up to date on some changes that have been made by the Department of Labor that affect our Job Corps Center.  The National Job Corps Program has been striving to cut costs, and some of the cost cutting measures have been substantial and severe.  We have been working hard to keep our success rate strong in the face of some of the changes, and we thank you for your support during these times.  However, last Friday, the 18th, we received the directive that no new students were to enroll in the Job Corps Program from January 28th, until costs were recouped (suspension is not to exceed June 30th).

As you might imagine, this is going to have a drastic effect on all centers and their surrounding communities.  I estimate that, should the moratorium on new student enrollments continue all the way until June 30th, we will be unable to help train approximately 140 students for employment.  As you know, the population that Springdale serves does not have a lot of opportunities, and without this program, their potential for success in the workforce is severely compromised.  Also, given our graduate placement rate of nearly 90%, approximately 126 trained and prepared students will not be entering the workforce in the future and will not be filling a need at those businesses. Obviously, this is not good for our community, or for Oregon’s unemployment rate in general. On a national level, Job Corps enrolls 1,100 students per week.  By the end of June, that will mean that over 24,000 young people will not have been served.

Right now, there is a letter circulating through the House of Representatives requesting a 30 day moratorium on this decision to suspend enrollments, to allow for other cost cutting methods to be explored.  If you can, it would be helpful if you could contact your Congressional Representative and encourage him to sign on to this “Dear Colleague” letter. The deadline for signing on is TODAY, by the close of business.  [/color]

Contact Earl! http://blumenauer.house.gov/
Phone: (503) 231-2300 ( Leave a message and just tell them you are a constituent - if you live in the area... you are  .... and " Congressman Blumenauer, please sign on to the letter requesting a 30 day moratorium on this decision to suspend enrollments at Job Corps Programs. "

If you aren’t able to make that tight turnaround, any letter of support of Springdale that is sent to your Congressman in the next couple weeks would be very helpful. Congress needs to know that Job Corps is a vital part of our community.

Finally, I’m very interested in spreading the word about Springdale, our students, and what we do here.  If you know of any organizations or groups looking for a speaker, I’d be happy to have someone from Springdale visit.  Please send any referrals my way.

Again, thanks so much for your support.  Our students appreciate it and so do our staff.

Naomi Ulsted
Center Director
Springdale Job Corps Center
503-695-2245 Ext. 201
email: Ulsted.Naomi@jobcorps.org

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: