Corbett Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Corbett High School  (Read 12829 times)
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »

Moved From: Charter School Discussion [ http://corbettoregon.com/forum/index.php?topic=216.0 ]

Posted by:
"countrykid"

Why do we have to be #1? Why do we have to be all about AP? I did a very, very rough estimate on the cost of AP courses and my estimate was around $80,000 per year. If Corbett is hurt on money, why don't we cut at least half of the AP classes, and make the classes optional, not mandatory. As an anonymous student in Corbett HS, I believe that AP should be optional. I believe that if we didn't have so many mandatory AP classes then we wouldn't need a charter school, or out of district transfers. I DO NOT have all of the facts, but this is just my opinion. I have gone to Corbett for 10 years. I could rant for hours,  but this is something that has really been irking me. What do you think?

Moved From: Charter School Discussion [ http://corbettoregon.com/forum/index.php?topic=216.0 ]

Posted by:
" little buddy "

I think it's great to hear from a student!!  I wish more students would comment on how this Charter School is affecting their school experience.  My child is not yet of school age, but I intend to follow this board carefully to monitor what's going on, because it does all seem a little confusing...  Beyond the Charter School and what it is doing for or against our students, these mandatory AP classes seem to be the issue for "countrykid,"  and I think the question is a good one..."why do we have to be #1?"  The answer seems to be:  Because that is Mr. Dunton's agenda.  And while being the "best", as defined by AP tests and national recognition in Newsweek Magazine is nice, I think it's important to look at the big picture and see how our curriculum benefits or deters our entire student body, and not just those who excel in the AP courses.  I did not know that the AP courses were mandatory.  I also did not know that they cost the district so much money.  Thanks for sharing that info!!

countrykid

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »

In my opinion as a student, our school only cares about the 'fame' that arises from good test scores. When you take an AP class, and get an A letter grade, it doesn't mean you pass all the way. There is an exam that follows and only a few people do well enough to pass it. And if you pass it, you get college credit, in certain colleges. For me, it doesn't seem worth it, just because it is very hard to get the credit for college. Our school is all about getting recognized, but what does that do for the majority of the students? AP has really changed Corbett in many ways. This year in a few of my classes at the beginning of the year, out of curiosity the teachers ask to raise your hand if you live in the Corbett area. In most of my classes only about 5-6 people raised their hands out of almost 30 kids...... It's sad that our school depends on the money that comes from the transfer students. It may not be a big impact on our school or community, but it just seems sad that a school that was once a small farm school is now a somewhat large public school. And in ways you get looked down on if you live out here. The first day we had an assembly and Mr. Dunton had a speech. He tried to be funny by making fun of how the Corbett kids dress. He made fun of our carhartts and John Deere hats. To me, that is very childish and no where near appropriate for an "elected official". Maybe I took it the wrong way, but I have lost all respect for my school and I can't wait to graduate this year and get the heck out of there. I know we are not a bad school, but I fear that something drastic will happen in the next few years.
breezy

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

It is great to hear from students. I've heard that you guys aren't allowed to have pep-rallies at school. Is that true? Tell me more about he AP tests. Is your entire course of study around taking these tests? I hope more students write in. Keep the discussion going!
chris

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:12:40 AM »

I want everyone to remember this kid's comment, it's important: please take the time to read it again.

In my opinion as a student, our school only cares about the 'fame' that arises from good test scores. When you take an AP class, and get an A letter grade, it doesn't mean you pass all the way. There is an exam that follows and only a few people do well enough to pass it. And if you pass it, you get college credit, in certain colleges. For me, it doesn't seem worth it, just because it is very hard to get the credit for college. Our school is all about getting recognized, but what does that do for the majority of the students? AP has really changed Corbett in many ways. This year in a few of my classes at the beginning of the year, out of curiosity the teachers ask to raise your hand if you live in the Corbett area. In most of my classes only about 5-6 people raised their hands out of almost 30 kids...... It's sad that our school depends on the money that comes from the transfer students. It may not be a big impact on our school or community, but it just seems sad that a school that was once a small farm school is now a somewhat large public school. And in ways you get looked down on if you live out here. The first day we had an assembly and Mr. Dunton had a speech. He tried to be funny by making fun of how the Corbett kids dress. He made fun of our carhartts and John Deere hats. To me, that is very childish and no where near appropriate for an "elected official". Maybe I took it the wrong way, but I have lost all respect for my school and I can't wait to graduate this year and get the heck out of there. I know we are not a bad school, but I fear that something drastic will happen in the next few years.
Sector 9

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »

To that student...good for you....it's nice to hear the voices of those who are attending the school...how it really effects them as students.  You are the voices of the future and it would be nice to hear more of you to get a BALANCED perspective and not just a bunch of fluff and ego.
Thank you for sharing this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: