Corbett Community Forum
April 17, 2024, 06:53:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicycle Issues  (Read 6565 times)
KLande

« on: May 27, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »

Anyone else tired of all the bicyclists?? Something really needs to be done!

I understand we're a scenic area, and if you ride a bike it would seem a great area to ride, but those that live here are really really burnt out on dealing with them in the summer months!

I have no problem with those that are courtious, or actually pay attention to automobiles and move to the side, but those that ride in the center so we can't pass....this is rediculous!

My biggest concern is safety and I can't beleive nothing has been done about this yet. There are certain roads/spots that I feel no bicyclists should be allowed, plain and simple. There are places where the roads are windy, there are no shoulders....these should be no bike areas! It's a simple safety issue, if I come around a corner in my car at 40 MPH and your in my lane because there is no shoulder.....the sad truth is I will hit a bicyclist before I will risk myself and my children by moving over into the oncoming lane that I can not see if anyone else is coming....example, the Job Corps corners....simple solution, post sign NO BIKES ALLOWED!...divert all bikes up and over the other road, avoiding the corners and these issues all together.

There are several areas in Corbett that either need to have shoulders created, an expense I know, but let the bike community pay for it, or designate certain areas off limits for them.....seriously it is a safety issue, I dread the day I have to hit a bicyclist in order to stay in my lane and not have a head on with another vehicle...sadly that will be my only option if nothing is done to change things, as some places have no room for bikes, and on corners motorists can't see you in time to slow....just my thoughts.....
soapbox

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »

Cyclists ride center or double up when they need to for safety (responsible ones do at least). Blind curves and shoulderless road sections are the places where this usually happens. I have found that most cyclists are curteous and lawful in their use of the right of way. I think its important to remember that this is what a public road is...a right of way for all travelers. Just because our society has become almost exclusively dependent upon autos as our primary means of travel, does not mean that we aren't still bound to share the road with cyclists, tractors, equestrians and pedestrians.  My suggestion: slow down and breath when you find yourself stuck behind a cyclist or a group of them working to get through a difficult passage. They are generally under more stress than you are during these periods of travel as they are entirely exposed while you are safe in your 2 ton metal box. Most of them will move over as soon as the opportunity presents. In fact, many will appreciate the help of a car driver who follows them slowly and with ample stopping distance, through these difficult stretches of roadway...your courtesy in this regard can save lives and actually help them get through faster..even if takes a few extra minutes of your time. And yes, all cyclists should practice safety and courtesy in sharing the road..sometimes they are learners, sometimes they are children and sometimes they are just jerks..the world is peopled with a percentage of jerks irrespective of their mode of travel Smiley.
East wind

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »

Cyclists ride center or double up when they need to for safety (responsible ones do at least). Blind curves and shoulderless road sections are the places where this usually happens. I have found that most cyclists are curteous and lawful in their use of the right of way. I think its important to remember that this is what a public road is...a right of way for all travelers. Just because our society has become almost exclusively dependent upon autos as our primary means of travel, does not mean that we aren't still bound to share the road with cyclists, tractors, equestrians and pedestrians.  My suggestion: slow down and breath when you find yourself stuck behind a cyclist or a group of them working to get through a difficult passage. They are generally under more stress than you are during these periods of travel as they are entirely exposed while you are safe in your 2 ton metal box. Most of them will move over as soon as the opportunity presents. In fact, many will appreciate the help of a car driver who follows them slowly and with ample stopping distance, through these difficult stretches of roadway...your courtesy in this regard can save lives and actually help them get through faster..even if takes a few extra minutes of your time. And yes, all cyclists should practice safety and courtesy in sharing the road..sometimes they are learners, sometimes they are children and sometimes they are just jerks..the world is peopled with a percentage of jerks irrespective of their mode of travel Smiley.

I agree with what you said. You said it well.

I also have small children and we never go around "dead man's corner" by the Job Corps. We go up and around. Much easier to push my foot on the gas to get up the steeper grade than it is for most cyclists too. ( The bikes don't scare me, even the doofus ones ... the crazies coming too fast drifting into my lane head on... scare me. ) When we come up on cyclists that aren't sharing the road... we are just patient until it is safe to pass. I try to put myself in their shoes more often than get irritated with any time loss. It is never THAT LONG before you can safely pass or they realize you are waiting.

On the flip side, you may recall we had a big problem with [ SOME ] Corbett [ TERM REMOVED BY ADMIN/MODERATOR 6/7/09 " RESIDENTS " ] painting tacks and throwing them in the shoulder ....out for the cyclists, or throwing things/bottles at theme.... So there is bad behavior on both sides of the coin. I tend to think some people have pulled one too many tacks out of their tires to want to ride on the shoulder. In the end, cyclists are tax paying, car driving US Citizens too...They probably drove their bikes, on top of their cars, from Portland to enjoy a day riding - where we get to live.

I love seeing all manners of travelers. They are, afterall, out enjoying the day.
Just like we should be. Life is too short.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: