Corbett Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:45:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: May Meeting Notes  (Read 2199 times)
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« on: June 06, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »

Thanks to Victoria Purvine, President of NEMCCA for the below notes.

May Safety Meeting May 6, 2020
Information was submitted, no meeting was held

Friends of the Sandy River Delta: At this time Friends of the Sandy River Delta and Oregon Equestrian Trails are not allowed to work in the Sandy River Delta. Even before the lock down the SRD was experiencing a flood of visitors and frantic efforts to get a parking spot. The closure of Jordan Road parking intensified the struggle. Hopefully the Forest Service working with the volunteers will figure out some ways of mitigating that tense situation.
We are hoping to get in and do some trail maintenance when we get the word from the CRGNSA. I am on three volunteer committees that are meeting by teleconferencing. In May we will try that for my OET chapter and the OET State Board meeting as well.
Victoria and I are teaming with other volunteers and agencies to support invasive weed efforts against Garlic Mustard. The County is spraying some of the roads with heavy infestations. We need to get all of the plants before they go to seed. There are some dedicated volunteers who clean the roads they live on. Some roads, with not many people and A LOT of GM, such as Kniereim, need to be sprayed
According to wikipedia GM is one of the oldest spices used in Europe and even today is used for sauces and in salads. Check it out, there's a lot more information available.

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: No hard dates yet to reopen.

We are prioritizing day use reopening first, similar to Washington State Parks. Reopening will be on a park-by-park basis, and coordinated with partners. Ideally, we will reopen several parks and trails to disperse folks, as well as keep local communities safe. We will keep everyone posted as best we can, however, all of us may receive late notice.

We would like to sincerely thank all of you for great work during this challenging time. ODOT closing the HCRH for staff, public and community safety. MCSO and Corbett Fire for always being there. Multnomah County Roads for closing roads (Alex Barr and Palmer Mill) to keep staff, the public and community safe. USFS for coordinating and working in concert with all of us and that will lead to better reopening strategies. County Commissioner Lori Stegmann and staff Nathan Clark for their great work and support throughout this time.

ODOT:
Things are pretty quiet on our end with the closure of the Historic Highway and State Trail.
Below are things we’re working on:
- Our sign folks are working on a comprehensive plan to replace signage for the entire drivable Historic Highway corridor (Corbett to Ainsworth) for the speed limit reduction and length limits – we wanted a coordinated plan to replace the signage because there are a few changes coming all at once. Once the signage is up, the reduced length limits and speed limits will be in effect.
- We’ll be looking to hold a virtual Historic Highway Advisory Committee meeting at the end of May – there will be a newsletter emailed two weeks in advance, and the agenda will be on the website one week in advance. Our website will have updated information once we have a date and time nailed down: www.historichighway.org. Meetings are open to the public, and we’re working to set up an online meeting platform that allows for public comment. Folks will be able to email or call me to submit public comment as well if they have anything they’d like me to share with the committee at the meeting. We’ll also take comments during the meeting.
- As Clay mentioned, we are working with our partners at Multnomah County, U.S. Forest Service and OPRD (including MCSO and OSP) to ensure that we’re coordinated when things start to open up. We’re having conversations about what the congestion and safety mitigation strategies might be once restrictions start to ease, though we’re relying on guidance from the Governor’s office on the timing. Our staff are talking at least every week to ensure we’re all coordinating appropriately.

Multnomah County Roads and Transportation: Currently at Transportation DCS; Roads we are still observing the mandates of social distancing as prescribed by the Governor and the chair. Part of that observation requires that we operate at a limited capacity to slow the spread and discourage close contact. We are driving one person to a vehicle and reporting to work in separate locations. We are essential personnel. So, we are primarily focused on Street Painting, vegetation management for sight visibility issues, Signs, Drainage, Sweeping, and Tractor work. These are essential services, some are mandated at the federal level and they are also tasks we can conduct with relatively small crews.
Please continue to forward your requests and questions.

MCSO: I’m not speaking for all of MCSO, but from my lone-deputy perspective, our call load has definitely gone down but Corbett has more than its share of “creepy crawlers” driving around the area. This week was actually very slow, but we had a lot of this kind of activity the two weeks prior. I posted all of the suspicious vehicles that citizens or deputies encountered on the Citizen Patrol website: www.mcsocp.com. There are currently seven on that list.

Now that the Old Hwy is blocked at the base of Larch Mt., citizen complaints have greatly increased re: the increased traffic going up Larch Mt.. Some signs and tape were placed at Brower and Palmer Mill to prevent tourists from going downhill to the Old Hwy.. However, we’ve had reports of some people still moving the signs and driving around anyhow. We’ve also had citizen complaints about people that violate “social distancing” outside the Women’s Forum, Lewis and Clark and other areas. We’ve had deputies fill weekend overtime shifts to help ensure enforcement with this issue in the Gorge.

We’ve had an uptick with speeding motorcycle complaints on nice days. One crashed two days ago at Smith and the Old Hwy.. Another crashed today at 257/Stark. Another was seen today on Ogden going about 100 mph. as reported by a citizen. Those are just the ones I know about. I’m sure there are others.

Although our Citizen Patrol volunteers have been pulled off line with the Pandemic, we’ve been doing weekly radio check-in exercises and sharing information in this manner. So it’s a nice way for the volunteers to stay in the loop.
Visitors to the Gorge can drive, bike, and hike on the Historic Columbia River Highway between Troutdale and The Dalles.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: