Corbett Community Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:52:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • School Board candidates: May 07, 2019
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet Your Corbett School Board candidates  (Read 3758 times)
www.corbettoregon.com
ADMIN
Administrator

« on: April 15, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »

Results:

Corbett School District 39, Director, Position 1 (Vote for 1)
Marguerite Perry 436 39.74%
Todd Redfern 660 60.16%
Write-in 1 0.09%
Total 1097 100.00%

Corbett School District 39, Director, Position 6 (Vote for 1)
Charlie O'Neil 318 29.28%
Cless Woodward 768 70.72%
Write-in 0 0.00%
Total 1086 100.00%

Corbett School District 39, Director, Position 7 (Vote for 1)
Kat (Ri Kinnear 540 51.28%
Tessie Adams 512 48.62%
Write-in 1 0.09%
Total 1053 100.00%

May 7th at the Corbett Community Church at 6:30PM. " Please join us for an evening with the Corbett School Board candidates. Please bring your questions. This will be a great opportunity to hear each candidate speak on a variety of topics and to talk with each candidate in person. "

FROM THE OUTLOOK ARTICLE DATED MAY 4, 2019:

https://pamplinmedia.com/go/42-news/427434-333975-corbett-school-board-candidates-discuss-district

Corbett school board candidates discuss district
Teresa Carson  Saturday, May 04, 2019

Three open seats in the May 21 election are contested as district faces big decisions

Three seats on the Corbett School Board are up for grabs in the May 21 election and all three are contested races, rare in local school board elections.

The newly elected Corbett school board will have a lot on its plate. Although the district has a high graduation rate and student achievement is solid, the district, its board and community are roiled by constant disagreements and mistrust.

The district is discussing becoming a charter district to maintain its size. Nearly half of the students attending Corbett schools have come from outside the district. But the law allowing those transfers expired this year. If the district becomes a charter district, it would be able to continue to accept out-of-district students.

The district has tried four times, without success, to pass a bond to upgrade the district's school buildings. In an effort to build trust with the community to pass a bond, a community group advocated for an outside consultant to come in and evaluate the district.

Education consultant Rob Saxton was hired, produced a 53-page report and recommended some major changes in the district, some of which the new board will likely consider.

The Outlook asked all the candidates to answer identical questions about the district and education. Their answers follow. We also asked about their favorite children's book, numbers of school-related meetings they have attended and what they do for fun. Candidates were given a limited length and the Outlook edited some answers for length and clarity.

Position 1

Marguerite Perry vs. Todd Redfern

Marguerite Perry, the incumbent, is the retail operations manager for the nonprofit Friends of Vista House. Challenger Todd Redfern is the operations manager for Colas Structures, a construction company.

The Outlook: Why do you want to be on the Corbett School Board?

Perry: I think that doing some public service is good, and I am specifically interested in education. The world has changed a lot, and I feel that the way we prepare our kids for it needs to change as well, not just in Corbett, but everywhere. I do not criticize our wonderful teachers, but the entire system. If adults had to sit in today's classrooms there would be a revolution.

Redfern: To help unite the Corbett community and school administration in hopes of passing a bond for either a new school or re-modernization of the existing school.

The Outlook: What are the two most important things you think the district could do better?

Perry: First, build a better relationship with the Corbett community and rebuild trust. Second, offer a broader set of educational programming including a strong CTE program (Career Technical Educational) while continuing to set the bar for high standards for achievement and graduation rate for all students.

Redfern: Communication and transparency.

The Outlook: For you, what will be the most challenging part of serving on the school board?

Perry: It will be a challenge to mend the gap that has developed between the school and the community, but the process has begun, and I have confidence that we will get there. I support using the basic framework which was presented to us in the recent Rob Saxton analysis and report. A Visions and Values committee — consisting of representation from all of the school and Corbett communities — will be the first step in developing a strategic plan for the overall goals. From those plans a charter can be written for the district to use as it transforms into a "charter district." A positive alignment between district and community is absolutely necessary to be able to address the needs of our students, including the terrible facilities issues. It will also be challenging — but very exciting — to help develop CTE programs that are relevant to our students and our community.

Redfern: Bringing the two sides together with civility.

The Outlook: What is your favorite children's book?

Perry: "Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett.

Redfern: "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss.

The Outlook: How many school-related meetings in the district have you been to in the last six months?

Perry: Nine (or) 10.

Redfern: Five.

The Outlook: What do you do for fun?

Perry: Rock hounding, making Oregon stones into jewelry. I also love to read.

Redfern: Foodie, cooking, camping, traveling and family.

Position 6

Charlie O'Neil vs. Cless Woodward

Charlie O'Neil, a small business owner and former Portland firefighter, is a former Corbett school board member. Cless Woodward is the vice president of Western Construction Inc.

O'Neil: I have been a member of the school board a total of about 16 of the last 21 years. I have missed being part of the board the last two years. My family has always supported and served this district in many different ways. I love my community and this school district and I want to be part of the decision making body. There are many crucial decisions facing this district. With my extensive experience, I believe I can make the best decisions for this community.

Woodward: I would like to become a member of the Corbett School Board to help shape the visions and values of our community school with the needs of our children. I believe that the community has a voice that has not been understood in relation to the direction our school district has been going. I feel that the education of our children is of great importance. A strong knowledge of the issues and how the issues are discussed between the community and the school district needs to be re-addressed and I would like to be involved in that process. Corbett has been trying to pass a bond but has not been successful for a multitude of reasons. I know that there is a significant amount of information regarding costs and the size of the school that are not being addressed with the community. I would like to help bring the community and school district to common ground.

The Outlook: What are the two most important things you think the district could do better?

O'Neil: I believe the district could do a better job of showing the community how a school our size provides our children a vibrant educational and social experience. I also think the district could do a better job of showing the voters how upgraded facilities could enhance our kids' educational experience and save the community money in the long run.

Woodward: The district needs to be more involved with the community in establishing the visions and values that will help draw the two together. Also, the district needs to be more involved with the community in the creation of any future bonds for construction. The bond amount for constructing a new school or any upgrades to facilities needs to be discussed with the community regarding the true costs and what size of a school any proposed bond would build.

The Outlook: For you, what will be the most challenging part of serving on the school board?

O'Neil: Sometimes it is hard to come back to an organization after being gone for a while. However, I have done this before and I believe I can make a smooth return to the board. School board director is a very important, difficult and time-consuming position if done correctly. In the past I have always put in the time and effort to do the job right and I will do so again if elected.

Woodward: I feel the most challenging part of serving will be to create an atmosphere of trust and transparency with the community in addressing our critical school district needs. Those needs include charter school, budgetary concerns, revenue generation, student population and addressing the need for new facilities. I know we are on the right path. We just need to keep the momentum going.

O'Neil: "Best Mother Goose Ever" by Richard Scarry.

Woodward: "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.

The Outlook: How many school-related meetings in the district have you been to in the last six months?

O'Neil: About five.

Woodward: 15-20.

O'Neil: Playing basketball, spending time with 10 grandchildren.

Woodward: Yard work, time with family, building crafts.

Position 7

Tessie Adams vs. Katey (Rickert) Kinnear

Tessie Adams is a paramedic and firefighter. Katey (Rickert) Kinnear, the incumbent, is the owner of Katey Kinnear Photography.

Adams: Corbett schools need change. I want to help rebuild trust between the community, and the school district by using the Saxton plan as a guide with full disclosure of the decisions made and the reasons that they were made. There is a disconnect between the school's agenda and what the parents and community want. My goal is to try to heal the rift with honesty (and) keeping the needs of the students before any other agendas.

Kinnear: I'm re-running for the Corbett School Board to keep working to build a stronger, positive voice in the community. I want the community to know all the valuable things the school district admin, teachers, staff and volunteers do for our kids.

Adams: First, I believe that the district needs to take the Saxton plan and use it as a guideline to salvage this district. The survey clearly shows that the administration has alienated the community, and things must change if we want to pass a bond.

Second, the district needs to better align its policies with the community it serves. AP (Advanced Placement college-level courses) for all is not the answer for all children. STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) courses need to be supported, and there needs to be more diversity to the courses offered.

Kinnear: Build a strong relationship with the community and develop a strategic vision that can move the district forward.

Adams: For me the most challenging part of serving on the school board will be trying to build a bridge between the community and the school district.  

Kinnear: The most challenging part of serving on the school board will be bringing in more CTE/STEM courses to our school.

Adams: "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams.

Kinnear: "Little Blue Truck" by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Jill McElmurry.

Adams: Three.

Kinnear: At least 15.

Adams: Care for and ride my horses

Kinnear: Watch my kids play year-around sports (and) love spending time with my family and taking pictures.

* 59008894_10219822439410744_4864972334500413440_n.jpg (42.67 KB, 562x750 - viewed 866 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: